Saturday, January 13, 2007

MARCUS BELGRAVE: What a wonderful show it will be

By Zach Hanner, Star-News Correspondent

If you close your eyes for a second, you'll undoubtedly mistake the voice of jazz trumpet legend Marcus Belgrave for the man whose music he pays tribute to, the masterful Louis Armstrong. Since his teens, Belgrave has been a consummate pro, influenced by Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Clifford Brown and numerous other horn blowers.

Currently residing in Detroit, where he has performed on dozens of Motown hits, Belgrave hits the road frequently with his partner-in-crime, Charlie Gabriel, bringing the sounds of Louis Armstrong to modern audiences with their tribute show. They'll perform twice in the area this week: Jan. 11 at Odell Williamson Auditorium on the campus of Brunswick Community College in Supply, and Jan. 14 at Thalian Hall in Wilmington.

Currents caught up with Belgrave as he prepared to bring his eight-piece band to the area.

How did you get interested in music? The bugle was the first instrument that I blew. I was 4 years old. My father was a musician and he played in a marching band that would gather around in a local park and they would leave their instruments out lying around. I figured I chose the trumpet because it was the smallest one available.

What was your first professional gig? I was 19 years old when I joined Ray Charles' band. I was in the service in Wichita Falls, Texas; he was coming through there. I got a chance to sit in with him there, but I didn't get the gig at that point. A month later, he came through my hometown of Chester, Penn. He played at a place called the Harlem Club and one of his trumpet players told me he was leaving the tour. I had left with some friends to see Max Roach in Philadelphia, and when I got home this lady at the club told me they had been looking for me all night. Ray asked me if I could be ready to leave in an hour and I was.

What are your earliest memories of Louis Armstrong's music? My father loved Louis Armstrong. I first remember hearing him when I was just a little kid, but I wasn't affected by him until I was maybe 10 years old. I heard the tune When It's Sleepy Time Down South, and it brought tears to my eyes.

How did Armstrong's music affect your growth as a musician? Louis Armstrong helped me develop as an artist not only because of his playing but also because of his singing. At the time, I wanted to play bebop, so I put Armstrong's style of music on the back burner. But he was always a big influence on me as a performer. Later on in my life, people would always tell me that I sounded like him. I guess I had that same frogginess in my voice. I didn't hear it but so many people told me that I should sing his songs that I finally broke down.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, it's poignant that you're bringing one of New Orleans' most beloved musician's sounds to the world again. New Orleans is jazz. It's the birthplace of that music in America. The musicians that come out of that city are simply supreme. The reason for that is that New Orleans is music all day, every day. From birth until death life is celebrated with music. It combines African traditions, Portuguese and French traditions and it's simply the most beautiful melting pot in America. It's really the greatest American city, but sometimes it doesn't seem like you're in America.

What is it about the music of Louis Armstrong that makes it continue to resonate with audiences decades after his passing? His tunes are just so joyful. I really enjoy them so much and, if I'm lucky, sometimes Louis comes and visits me. Sometimes I'm singing and I hear his voice back at me and I think it's him.

Wilmington Morning Star - Wilmington,NC,USA
Currents: 343-2343
currents.wilmington@starnewsonline.com

No comments: